11 April 2010

From X's to Y's

I recently took the time and effort to reconnect officially with Rotaract once again, after some years of pretending to be a interested by-stander. You see, when one has served for 12 years in an organisation, and took the courageous step to be elected into the highest office; draining the 'R' blood from one's body is not a oh-so-easy thing one may think. Yes, one can claim to be out of sight thus out of mind - but don't we all have that feeling of reminiscent. After all we are creatures of emotions.

Pretty much like this blog here as an example. There were many times, I would like to shut off this blog for I have got not much of Rotaract current experiences to share - and knowing that this blog does not received as much attention or followers as I would like it to be. But then again, the emotional side of me whispered, "Terence, you have poured some great stuffs here and there is practically no cost required to keep this blog as-is. Why don't you just leave it there, and knows, there will come a time again people or Rotaractors will find your stuff here informative once again?"... There you have it, "Fellowship Through Service" is revived.

Yours truly was invited to the District Rotaract Assembly (DRA) 2010/11 as a Group Discussion Leader (GDL) for the Professional Development workshop. This could be a chance of a non-Rotaract lifetime, if one should put it. The reason being, for decades, GDLs in DRAs were either current Rotarians or Rotaractors. And yours truly, if you're still unaware, is neither both. I have to thank DRR Sanjeev Kumar for this opportunity, privilege, and honour.

For the first time, I re-experienced Rotaract since my official retirement, and pun intended, like I've never experienced before.

To give you some context, when I was a participant of DRA and conferences during my Rotaract years, I was amongst the youngest or in kinder words - the most junior. During those years, Rotaractor's consisted mainly of those born in the 60's and 70's... I hope now you get the drift.

DRA 2010/11 was an assembly of the Generation Y's.

In true Rotaract fashion, the roll-call of clubs was announced during the opening session. And I am sure, as the clubs present were called upon one-by-one, none of the participants would have known, there used to be clubs like Alor Setar, Georgetown Penang, Tanjung Bungah, Taiping, Ipoh, Ampang, Metro Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur West, Kuala Terengganu, Kota Bharu, Kuantan, Kajang, Bandar Sunway, Politeknik Port Dickson, and Seremban. These were the X Generation clubs, that unfortunately, did not survived in this Y Generation. In consolation, there were clubs being revived such as Help (University) College, and Kelana Jaya.

In this Y Generation, it seems to me, institutional-based clubs are garnering interest from both young adults and Rotary Clubs alike. I can't help but to sense the beginning of a revolution - for if history is to be revisited, Rotaract originated with the chartering of the first club in University of North Carolina. I'm personally intrigue if this humble discovery of mine (e.g. revolution) is in deed true come 2012.

However, the most startling discovery I made is not about Rotaract is going through a revolution by means of more and more institutional-based clubs are being chartered; in fact, my discovery has let me to the Rotaract Constitution.

During X Generation, Rotaractors are informed that the Goals of Rotaract are as follows:
  • To develop professional and leadership skills;
  • To emphasize respect for the rights of others, based on recognition of the worth of each individual;
  • To recognize the dignity and value of all useful occupations as opportunities to serve;
  • To recognize, practice, and promote ethical standards as leadership qualities and vocational responsibilities;
  • To develop knowledge and understanding of the needs, problems, and opportunities in the community and worldwide;
  • To provide opportunities for personal and group activities to serve the community and promote international understanding and goodwill toward all people.
And in the latest Rotaract Constitution that was distributed to Rotaractors of Y Generation (and as published in Rotary International website here, the Goals of Rotaract read as follows:
  • To develop professional and leadership skills;
  • To emphasize respect for the rights of others, and to promote ethical standards and the dignity of all useful occupations;
  • To provide opportunities for young people to address the needs and concerns of the community and our world;
  • To provide opportunity for working in cooperation with sponsoring Rotary clubs;
  • To motivate young people for eventual membership in Rotary.
I don't know about you, but I can clearly distinguish the prominence of Rotary and Rotary clubs in the revised Goals of Rotaract.

What does this mean to Rotaractors in Y Generation? What is it like being a Rotaractor in Y Generation? I would love to hear your opinion, drop me a comment or email.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so awesomely happy i found this blog. THANK YOU!
I hope you keep writing.
My name is Ginnel Ozaeta, President of the Rotaract Club of Orange Walk in the country of Belize in the RI district 4250.
Again, thank you!